Michaela Noelle posted a lovely post earlier this week titled 10 Things that Make Me Happy. That got me thinking about 10 things in MY life that make ME happy.
1. Springtime. The air is so fresh and there’s so much light for a good part of the day, I just feel so inspired in the mornings.
2. My pups. They’re so silly and are long lost sisters from different mothers but they have so much energy and excitement for every day. It makes you want to embrace the day the same way too.
3. Plants in the house. Oh my goodness.. obsessed is probably a mild term for how I feel about house plants, fresh flowers and succulents right now.
4. Decluttering. I know that sounds super nerdy but lately I’ve been on a spring cleaning kick.. Donating all sorts of items that have been sitting in the back of a closet or in a side table, or even hanging in my closet. I’ve finally put that advice into play: if it doesn’t make you happy right now for whatever reason, it’s okay to donate or upcycle it into something else that does.
5. A clean sink and clean counter tops in my kitchen. The floor can have gone weeks without being swept (it doesn’t) but if the counters and sink are clear and shining, I’m a happy girl.
6. Redecorating. I’m spending most of my extra time and money to finish decorating our apartment that we moved into only 10 months ago. It’s like I started personalizing our space with what I had and stopped before I got halfway there because work schedules got crazy and I subconsciously didn’t want to decorate a new place that presented new challenges with old things that worked in the previous apartment but not this one. But I’m decluttering and very okay with out with some of the old and bring on the new!
7. Target. I have a list of places that I love to shop, as everyone does.. it’s filled with popular places like Anthropologie and Pier 1, etc. I’ve deprived myself from shopping shopping for the last year because I didn’t feel right about it knowing I had so much debt to pay off. Now that I’m down to 1 more credit card and making sizable credit card payments every month towards that goal – I feel good about spending money to redecorate and Target, I have missed you.
8. Peppermint. I always classified myself as more of a florals type girl but I’ve changed my mind. I’ve been experimenting with different ways to scent our house because I can’t stand that stale air smell when we come back into the house after running errands or getting off work. I have found that burning essential oils in a mini crock pot does a lovely job and peppermint is a lovely, fresh scent that we have been burning every day. Another plus is the boyfriend likes it too!
9. Black & white prints. I have always loved black and white prints with high contrast and tweak my own photos to have that aesthetic. I’m working on adding more b&w prints in brightly colored frames to our house now.
10. DIY projects. Not just because you can save money by DIY but because I just love starting a new project.
Check out Michaela’s original post here: http://michaelanoelledesigns.blogspot.com/2013/05/10-things-that-make-me-happy.html